My battery on my phone died early tonight. Not a big surprise really. The text messages were flying in at a quick pace. The web-browser was working overtime trying to collect the scores. And, of course, plenty of phone calls to keep T-Mobile in business in this dire economic state.
So, what did we learn in the first round?
1. Region 6-AAAAA is no joke.
2. Class A is probably the best tournament from top to bottom in the state.
3. Most impressive road win? Riverdale at Groves. Monster win on the road. OR Long County traveling nearly five hours across the state to beat Early County.
4. Walton’s Ryan Harrow against McEachern’s Trae Golden was the match-up that delivered.
5. South Atlanta is great with numbers. The Hornets are beating Georgia teams by an average of 40 points a game. Saturday’s win was a 41-point blowout over Thomson.
6. Round two will be even better.
Upsets of round 1:
AAAAA – Central Gwinnett over Collins Hill. Huge win for the 14-14 Golden Knights. Freshman Jordan Adams has a monster game while Collins Hill abandons great high/low game in the second half.
AAAA – Cass, a No. 4 seed, overcomes 20-point fourth quarter deficit on the road to beat Loganville, a No. 1 seed, 88-86 in overtime.
AAA – North Hall, a No. 4 seed, beat Franklin County 54-44 at the No. 1 seed’s home court. That’s a big win on the road and against one of the best players in the AAA bracket in DeMario Mayfield. OR Cedar Grove, a sub .500 team, beating Carrollton at home. Carrollton is a 25-win team.
AA – Decatur traveled to Manchester and picked up a one point win in central Georgia. Manchester has only lost won game in 2009 until tonight.
A – None. Single A went as expected. The second round, however, has a number of match-ups of note. Hancock Central at Turner County, a rematch of last year’s state title game, probably already has a line outside of TC’s gym waiting to get in.
How’d we pick ‘em in the first round? Pretty good actually
AAAAA – 12-4
AAAA – 15-1
AAA – 11-5
AA – 12-4
A – 16-0
Georgia Hoops will have much, much more this weekend until Wednesday.