Friday, February 22, 2008

First round wrap up

Since human cloning is completely out of the picture, I simply can't be at 37 places at a time tonight. I love the instant access age of the Internet.

Here's a rundown of what happened on the opening round of the state tournament.

Norcross and Wheeler won big. Surprised? I'll be honest, I am. Norcross jumped on the shoulders of McDonald's All-American Al-Farouq Aminu and picked up a 72-49 win over Harrison. Aminu scored a game-high 30 points in the win. Norcross plays host to Centennial(who won 75-72 over Meadowcreek) in a rematch of last year's AAAAA state championship game from last year on Tuesday. Should be a great one.

Wheeler beat the brakes off of Parkview 92-72 in the opening round of the tournament. Six players scored in double digits for Wheeler. The Wildcats will play host to McEachern on Tuesday in a battle of Cobb County teams.

The top two teams in the state had difficult draws in the first round of the tournament but had zero trouble picking up big wins. Think the two powers are aiming for the title game?

I am obviously eating some crow after Friday night. Why? I didn't think Norcross could make it to the Final Four. I thought Marietta would be a better team. Little did I know the Blue Devils will be without the services of senior DeAndre Cannon and junior point guard Chris Tanzy is still not 100 percent from an injury. Can I pull a mulligan?

Back to the games...

Dunwoody won big over Gainesville, thanks in large part to 21 points from junior Isaiah Grayson.

Ralph Sampson III recorded yet another triple double in a win over Central Gwinnett.

Greater Atlanta Christian looks strong in the AA bracket, winning easily over Dawson County.

Dacula took advantage of it's size and knocked out Tucker to move on in the AAAA bracket.

Through the grapevine...Savannah Johnson lost to Lowndes. Shocker! I thought they had enough to get to the Final Four. Whoops. Dougherty, another No. 1 seed, lost on a last-second shot. The Hiram-ML King game was a good one, from what I was told. Don't sleep on Hiram.

SCOREBOARD